About Troy Farm
Troy Farm is a project of Rooted and includes 3+ acres of field and greenhouse production of certified organic diversified vegetables, fruits, herbs, and flowers. The farm has been growing certified organic vegetables on Madison’s Northside since 2001, and we are proud to be one of the city’s oldest urban farms. Troy Farm sells produce to the community at our on-site farm stand on Thursday evenings and at the Northside Farmers’ Market on Sunday mornings. Much of our produce is sold to members through farm memberships–including discounted membership for qualifying members–similar to a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program. Troy Farm produce is also distributed to nearby neighborhood centers where it is available cost-free to community members. Troy Farm also collaborates with local grower organizations on the land, hosts community education events, and partners with local chefs to host Thursday night community meals.
This position is seasonal and spans May 7 – October 12, 2023. The Troy Farm Market Crew Member will manage the weekly setup, running, and take down of the Thursday and Sunday market stands. The job is fairly physical and is well-suited to folks who enjoy working with other people and engaging with community members to offer a pleasant experience and to share information about vegetables, the Rooted community, and Rooted’s work. The Market Crew Member runs the Thursday and Sunday market stands alongside one additional staff person, who may include the Troy Farm Director, Troy Farm Manager, Troy Farm Assistant Manager, or a field crew member. 1-3 volunteers also regularly help at both market stands.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Set up, host, and break down Thursday market stand and Sunday Northside Farmers Market stand.
- Actively engage with farm members and customers.
- Customer service and sales including cash, check, credit, debit, and EBT/SNAP sales.
- Contribute content to cross-program communication tools, including social media.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to communicate and follow direction effectively, including the ability to problem solve.
- Ability to work on projects independently or as part of a group.
- Demonstrated ability to follow through on commitments, responsibilities, and tasks.
- Proficient use of office software, email, and other technology or willingness to learn.
- Ability to lift, kneel, and do physical work.
- Ability to engage in critical conversations about identity and culture and the ways that they intersect with farming.
- Interest in learning about farming and being part of a learning community.
- Must be able to drive and maneuver a 16 foot box truck or be willing to learn.
- May have to work in inclement weather.
- Provide a copy of a valid driver’s license.
- Have reliable transportation to and from the farm, which is located on the 22 bus line.
- Ability to pass a standard background check.
- This position is FLSA non-exempt
- Part-time (maximum 16 hours per week) position available.
- May 7 – October 12, 2023, Thursdays 12:00-8:00pm, Sundays 6:30am – 2:30pm
- The pay rate is $14/hr.
- Market Crew Members receive a $300 Troy Farm membership credit and a $50 gear stipend.
How to Apply
Applicants may apply online here.
For a paper application, please email [email protected] or call (608)-240-0409. For priority consideration, apply by March 1, 2023. Applicants may apply after this date. Positions are open until filled.