The current production of Troy Farm includes 2+ acres of field as well as greenhouse production of certified organic diversified vegetables, fruits, herbs, and flowers. The Troy Farm Manager will work closely with the Troy Farm Director to ensure the production of Troy Farm is aligned with the organization’s commitment to enabling people to grow and thrive in healthy, equitable, and sustainable neighborhoods.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee all aspects of two-wheel tractor urban farm production, including tillage, planting, cultivation, pest control, harvesting, and packing on 2+ acres of organic cropland.
- Oversee greenhouse operations, including both seedling and inground production.
- Assist with creation of annual farm production plan, including seed order, planting calendar, field maps, etc.
- Implement farm production record keeping, including harvest records, field work logs, equipment maintenance logs, etc.
- Identify and execute weekly production priorities and goals.
- Implement production quality standards in accordance with the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA).
- Maintain existing infrastructure and equipment, including greenhouse, tractors, irrigation systems, tools, etc.
- Assist with the development of new infrastructure and capital improvements, as needed.
- Ensure that farm organic certification and WI food safety licensing requirements are met and maintained.
- Lead Farm crew, with assistance from Crew Leader, in all aspects of production. Lead sales crew for Sunday’s Northside Farmers Market.
- Assist with the planning, implementation, and marketing of Troy Farm’s existing social enterprises, including direct-to-consumer sales through the Sunday Northside Farmers Market, wholesale accounts for vegetables, herbs, and sprouts, on-farm events, and an annual plant sale.
- Attend farm team, land-based program team, and agency staff meetings.
- Assist with tours and Rooted events.
- Act as ambassador of Rooted through effective communication of the organization’s mission and programs.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- This position requires a minimum of 2 seasons experience in commercial vegetable production; or equivalent.
- Experience with and knowledge of direct-to-consumer (CSA, farmers markets) and wholesale sales channels.
- Ability to operate farm equipment, including a 16ft. box truck, four-wheel tractor, two-wheel tractor, and other farm equipment.
- Experience supervising employees, trainees, interns and/or volunteers.
- Ability and willingness to work in all weather conditions.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Strong organizational and communication skills and a demonstrated ability to follow through on commitments, responsibilities, and tasks.
- Flexibility and willingness to grow in response to needs or changes in the field.
- Commitment to mission and values of Rooted, including social justice racial equity.
- Experience working with diverse groups of people in community settings a plus.
- Experience working with and maintaining small scale farm equipment and tools a plus.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Excel and other office software a plus.
- Experience working with non-profit organizations a plus.
- Must have access to reliable transportation and provide a copy of a valid driver’s license.
- Willingness and ability to work some weekend and evening hours.
- Ability to pass standard background check.
- This position is a FLSA non-exempt, full time (40 hrs./week at 1400 hrs) March 1st -October, part time (13 hrs./week) November-February. Total 0.78 FTE (1,621 hrs./year).
- Eligible for benefits, including paid time off.
- This position has a six (6) month probationary period.
Please send an electronic version of your resume and a cover letter by February 15, 2020 to [email protected], or mail to:
2702 International Lane, Suite 200
Madison, WI 53704