The current production of Troy Farm includes 2+ acres of field as well as greenhouse production of certified organic diversified vegetables, fruits, herbs, and flowers. The Farm Crew Leader will work closely with the Farm Manager and Farm Director to ensure the production of Troy Farm is aligned with the organization’s commitment to enabling people to grow and thrive in healthy, equitable, and sustainable neighborhoods.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform tillage, planting, cultivation, pest control, harvesting, washing and packing of produce on 2+ acres of organic cropland and manage crew in these tasks
- Help manage greenhouse operations and crew to perform tasks including both seedling and inground production.
- Keep production records including: harvest records, field work logs, equipment maintenance logs, etc.
- Execute weekly production priorities and goals and manage crew in these tasks.
- Implement production quality standards in accordance with the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA).
- Assist with the development of new infrastructure and capital improvements, as needed.
- Ensure that farm organic certification and WI food safety licensing requirements are met and maintained.
- Manage Farm crew in all aspects of production and processing.
- Attend Rooted staff meetings.
- Act as ambassador of Rooted through effective communication of the organization’s mission and programs.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- This position requires a minimum of one season of experience in commercial vegetable production; or equivalent.
- Ability to operate farm equipment, including a 16ft. box truck, four-wheel tractor, two-wheel tractor, and other farm equipment.
- Experience supervising employees and/or volunteers.
- Ability and willingness to work in all weather conditions.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Organizational and communication skills and an ability to follow through on commitments, responsibilities, and tasks.
- Commitment to mission and values of Rooted, including social justice racial equity.
- Experience working with diverse groups of people in community settings a plus
- Experience working with and maintaining small scale farm equipment and tools a plus
- Proficient use of Microsoft Excel and other office software a plus
- Experience working with non-profit organizations a plus.
- Must have access to reliable transportation, and provide a copy of a valid driver’s license.
- This position is FLSA Non-Exempt LTE, Full time (40 hrs./week) March – November 10, 2020.
Please send an electronic version of your resume and a cover letter by February 15, 2020 to [email protected].
2702 International Lane, Suite 200
Madison, WI 53704