Work period: April 10 to October 27, 2023
Garden Educators will work at the Troy Kids’ Garden and Goodman Youth Farm. Both programs serve youth ages 3 through 18 with outdoor, garden-based learning. At each site, educators lead small groups of youth in gardening, cooking, animal care, outdoor art, and other hands-on activities. Garden Educators can expect to gain experience developing and implementing garden-based curricula and activities, while developing a working knowledge of vegetable gardening and small-scale farm management.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Assisting in field work to maintain urban agricultural sites, including planting, weeding, mulching, trellising, bed-prep, composting, cover cropping, harvesting, and post-harvest handling.
- Leading groups of youth in garden-based activities, both independently and as part of a teaching team.
- Involvement in all preparatory work for our educational programs, including activity set-up and clean-up, developing educational materials, and program debriefs.
- Arriving on time and being ready to work for every shift.
- Occasionally directing groups of adult volunteers.
- Participating in preparing garden areas for student activities, including additional weeding, mulching, and bed preparation, among other duties.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to interact in a professional, courteous, and confidential manner with others in a variety of circumstances.
- Experience working with diverse groups of people in community settings with cultural competence.
- Ability to communicate effectively, including the ability to listen and solve problems.
- Flexibility and willingness to grow in response to needs or changes in the field.
- Ability to work on projects independently or as part of a group.
- Demonstrated ability to follow through on commitments, responsibilities, and tasks.
- Ability to lift, kneel, and do physical work.
- Ability to commit to and promote Rooted’s mission, goals, and priorities.
- Prior experience working with youth is desirable but not required.
Additional Information and Requirements
- Have reliable transportation to and from your site. Troy Kids Garden is located on the 22 bus line, Goodman Youth Farm is located near the 32 and 33 bus lines.
- Ability to pass a standard background check.
- May have to work in inclement weather or may be asked to adjust their work hours to accommodate the weather.
- This position is FLSA non-exempt.
- Full time (32 hours per week) positions available from April 10 – October 27, 2023.
- Full season, full time Garden Educators receive a $600 credit to use at the Troy Farmstand.
- The pay rate is $14/hr.
Garden Educators may be eligible for academic credit. Please negotiate the terms of any academic credit directly with a faculty sponsor, and discuss with your Rooted program manager prior to starting the season.
How to Apply
For priority consideration, apply by March 6, 2023. Applicants may apply after this date. Positions are open until filled. Interviews will be scheduled as we receive applications and offers will be extended after March 6.