Let’s work together to grow your school garden both as a teaching resource and a food source for your school community. Through our AmeriCorps Farm to School Program, Rooted can provide schools with planning, development, and staffing for school gardens, in addition to providing other Farm to School (F2S) opportunities including garden-based and nutrition lessons and visits with local farmers.
AmeriCorps Farm to School FAQs
The AmeriCorps Farm to School (F2S) Program provides an innovative approach to building healthy communities by:
- Providing garden-based lessons to advance curricular and social and emotional wellness goals
- Improving child nutrition through the implementation of educational F2S activities for students and families
- Developing strong communities by creating future community leaders and connecting schools with local farmers and food businesses
- Increasing the capacity of communities all over Wisconsin to support sustainable F2S programs that encourage healthy behaviors and improve the school food environment
The Farm to School Specialist will work with teachers to plan engaging lessons based on teachers’ curricular needs and the time of year.
The Farm to School Specialist will coordinate with teachers, volunteers, and the Parent/Teacher Organization (if applicable) to ensure broad and consistent student access to the garden and to help organize school garden workdays as needed.
Your school’s Farm to School Specialist will manage the garden throughout the year to ensure that it is well managed and productive throughout the growing season, including the summer months.
Contact Farm to School Director Erica Krug ([email protected]) for more information on services and fees.
Funding youth garden programs can require some creativity. We can talk through options with you. Some possibilities include:
- PTG allocation
- school fundraiser
- partnering with your after-school program
- community partners and/or businesses who want to support healthy food initiatives in schools
In addition to the AmeriCorps Farm to School Program, we provide unique models of youth garden education at two additional locations.