Rooted is seeking candidates to fill two (2) part-time AmeriCorps Farm to School Specialist positions with the Farm to School Program. Each position is a 5 to 6-month appointment with an average of approximately 25-28 hours/week. The position will begin in February 2021 and end August 14, 2021. Additional positions for continued work may be available September 2021 through August 2022. Members will be under contract with the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction’s state-wide Farm to School AmeriCorps program and will be under direct supervision of Rooted staff to continue and expand upon existing farm to school programming in Madison Metropolitan School District.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
As Farm to School Specialists, AmeriCorps Members will help teachers and school nutrition professionals develop and implement nutrition programs that will educate children about the benefits of making healthy eating choices. Members will assist with creating and implementing healthy food curricula including school or community garden development, cooking in the classroom programs or field trips to farms, and work with schools to help implement wellness programs.
Members will also serve as the main liaison between the schools and the community. They will educate food service directors about sourcing local, healthy foods for the school districts they serve and will create an action plan laying out the steps necessary to procure local food into their programs. They will also be responsible for recruiting and mobilizing volunteers to enhance and increase the capacity of the AC F2S program. This will include organizing a F2S Task Force within the school or community, recruiting farmers to present in the schools, organizing farm tours, and organizing snack preparation or food tastings.
- Age Minimum: 18 years
- High School Graduate/GED or higher
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills in a team setting
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Passion for inspiring healthful eating among youth and for promoting local, sustainable agriculture
- Working knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet software and ability to efficiently navigate the internet
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to provide one’s own transportation for work purposes
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or lawful permanent resident alien
- Must be able to completely pass a National Criminal History Check conducted by DPI-Human Resources before serving vulnerable populations as outlined in 45 CFR §2510.20
- Experience in education, nutrition, environmental science, or agriculture
- Experience working with youth in an educational setting
- Volunteer or paid experience with socially, economically and/or ethnically diverse populations
- Experience working with food service in schools, restaurants, or other institutions
- Experience working with farmers
- Skillful in establishing and maintaining professional work relationships
- Experience recruiting and managing volunteers
- $5,775 living allowance
- $2,360 education award upon successful completion of hours
- Professional development and training opportunities
- Student loan deferment
Position Classification & Probationary Period
This position is FLSA Exempt at $17.10; Full Time: 1 FTE. This position has a six (6) months probationary period.
Application Procedure and Deadline
1) the 2020-2021 DPI AmeriCorps application form
2) a resume with three professional references (contact information is sufficient)
3) a letter of interest explaining why you feel farm to school programming is important for Wisconsin schools and how your past experiences prepare you for the position
Submit the AmeriCorps application form online. Send resume, references, and letter of interest to Erica Krug ([email protected]) by email with the subject line Rooted AmeriCorps Application. Positions are open until filled; please submit materials as soon as possible.
This program is available to all, without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, political affiliation, or religion.